Students who want to pursue their career in law register in law degree programs. Such programs require students to write a number of difficult law essays too. These law essays are complex and hard-to-understand because of the way law develops, changes and is implemented in the United States. The consistent changes in law and orders require students to stay updated throughout but they are hardly able to remain informed and knowledgeable with the law, orders, and policies due to several reasons. Let alone, law can be best understood when it is applied and students are only focused towards the theoretical aspects during the degree program.
Writing such law essays is one thing, but the challenge begins from the first step of searching the most suitable law essay research writing topic. This problem occurs when professors do not specify a topic to the students. When they don’t assign you with a topic, students have the advantage to pick one on their own and as per their choice. But how are you going to select one? There are several ways to choose a thoughtful and impactful legal topic for your research paper which we will discuss in the end of the blog post. For now, let’s explore few of the best essay writing research topics that your professors would like.
Top 25 Specific Law Research Topics & Legal Categories
- In-depth review of the theories of classical criminology
- Overview to the religious laws and crimes in developed and developing countries
- Facts and statistics related to the crime reports during the 21st century
- Differences and similarities between juvenile courts and justice
- The principles of interrogation about human rights
- How mass media helps in investigations?
- Methodologies applied by different nations in addressing the false confessions
- Prostitution, slavery, child and human trafficking – How to practically eradicate them?
- The rise of the new branch: Feminist criminology
- The beginning of the modern era: Study of criminologists
- Types of crimes
- Legal consequences of the #MeToo movement
- From bullying to psychology torment: Driving oneself to suicide
- Lack of privacy in the internet era
- Individuals who are more susceptible to breaking the law
- Pros and cons of the capital punishment
- Strategies that the US state can use to avoid wrongful convictions
- The legitimacy of gun control
- The battle between government intrusion and privacy
- The debate on 50/50 matrimonial wealth sharing
- In-depth review of the abortion rights for women in the US
- The discussion on providing asylum to war refugees in the US
- Government law to legalize marijuana in the US
- The portrayal of free universal healthcare
- The documentation of court proceedings on the live
While the aforementioned law research topics are some of the popular ones, here are a few law research topics’ categories based on which students can select their research topics.
- Animal rights
- Acquaintance rape
- Assisted suicide
- Capital punishment
- Drinking age, legal
- Campus violence
- Drug legalization
- Civil rights
- Hate crimes
- Insanity defense
- Gun control
- Patriot Act
- Mandatory Minimum sentencing
- Roe vs. Wade
- Police brutality
- Serial killers
- Prisons and prisoners
- Sexual harassment
- Three Strikes Law
- Sex crimes
Steps to Select a Law Research Topic That Impresses Your Professors
As a law student, you will be required to write various law research papers therefore it is necessary to master the skill of finding the right research paper topic that impresses your professors. Your instructor wouldn’t like the mainstream law topics instead would expect something more thoughtful and meaningful from your end. So, let’s explore the steps through which you can select a law research topic that leaves your instructor awestruck.
Step 1: Select Broader Law Category Then Narrow it Down
The step is to select a broader law category from the ones mentioned above, then narrow down that subject into smaller chunks for topics that are related to it. For instance, if you select crime as the broader category, you can break it down to further sub-categories such as domestic crime, cybercrime, childhood abuse, burglary, hate crime, fraud, modern slavery, image-based sexual abuse, robbery, manslaughter or murder, sexual harassment or any other.
After narrowing it down further, select the one that interests you the most and start researching and reading about that particular topic. You can choose a particular perspective that you can develop in your law research paper. But you must read different point of views and perspectives related to your narrowed down topic as only reading will enhance your knowledge making your law research paper writing easier.
Step 2: Gather Enough Resources for Your Law Topic
This is one of the chief steps because this is where you will gather, filter, jot down, and write all the material for your law topic. After selecting the law topic, try looking for the majority of the sources and gathering data from all of them. Whether the source materials are books, articles, internet, or any other source, you should collect it from everywhere. The topic must have ample amount of information for you to effortlessly compose your impeccable law essay. Or else, you will end up writing an essay that would be of little or no value to the readers.
Step # 3: Elaborate Your Law Topic and Formulate the Thesis Statement
Once you have gathered the source materials, it is time to define the topic and develop a more focused interest to something related to that keyword. Then you are supposed to construct the thesis statement, though this may be the answer to your research question. Make sure that your thesis statement is clear and concise to help your readers inform about the topic. This is where you will realize that the importance of the gathered sources, as you will need to have enough data and evidence to support the thesis statement.
Composing law essays and more importantly law research topics is not a cakewalk. But now that we’ve discussed a few law research topics with and have also elaborated on the steps to compose one, we hope the procedure seems simple to you. However, there are several students who may still be nervous in selecting law research topic, they can seek professional assistance from credible law essay writing service providers and save their time and effort.